Saturday, July 11, 2009

An interview with a Chicken Expert

Incubation Day 14 or Day 18

On Day 17 we can expect to get relief from the daily rotations. Our manual directs us to not touch the incubator from Day 17 on (except to add H2O to maintain humidity). 
I read that tomorrow we might be able to start to hear "pips" - the chicks peeking at the shells from the inside. 

Two days ago, I called my farmer grandmother to seek advice on our hatching process. She returned the call yesterday; it was possibly the most useless conversation I have ever had with anyone. She refused to offer any insight. Torin will be flying to Denver July 18 for a 10 vacation with my family, so in a change of subject and an attempt to be cordial, I asked my grandmother if she intended to see Torin.  She replied with a "maybe."

"Will you drive into the city or will Shiloy bring Torin out to the farm?", I pried.
"Yes.", was her curt response.
"Which one is it?"
"None of your business."
"Ok."

(Keep in mind that this is a woman who, when I once asked if she would like to sell the house that my mother lives in, responded with, "I would never sell anything to you." Also, when I invited her to visit us in Chicago she said, "I'd rather die than go to Chicago.")

Our brief and empty conversation ended with her informing me that she had just finished mowing the lawn and needed to shower now, as if I had interrupted her afternoon. Wasn't she the one that called me?
I am sorry but I have little to no sympathy for depression-era children. Kindness would cost my grandmother nothing, yet she refuses to spend it. Its like how she used to drive to the JC Penny's in Castle Rock to make long distance phone calls from the concierge phone to my sister Liz in Denver. I distinctly remember her taking my brother and me to a Salvation Army toy drive. My brother received a shiny, red fire truck at the party and after sitting on Santa's lap, I was given a new doll. That was our Christmas present from her that year. Don't even get me started on the Christmas presents from garage sales or hotel swipes (shampoo, soap and hand towels). For awhile, once a week, she would deliver day old bread that she picked up from a food pantry.

This same grandmother has owned a private plane and a farm for as long as I can remember. 

There is a difference between frugal and stingy. One is attempting to build a chicken coup out of leftover wood from a rotted fence and miscellaneous IKEA furniture pieces. The other is my grandmother.

I had better get out now with the circular saw and start working on that frame. 3 days until the hatching hopefully begins!

No comments: